Gilthead Bream Carpaccio Spiced with Chios Mastiha
Main Ingredients 8 portions
- 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) gilthead bream
- 80 ml fresh strained lemon juice
- 60 ml white wine vinegar
- 600 ml Greek extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. crushed coriander seeds
- 2 Tbsp. crushed fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp. sumac
- 3 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 3 pieces star anise
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground Chios Mastiha
- 3 strips dried orange zest
- Wash and clean the fish: Remove its scales and viscera and rinse thoroughly. Fillet the fish and cut each fillet into 5-cm- (2-inch-) wide strips.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and spices. Place the fish in overlapping layers inside a container and pour over the marinade. Marinate, unrefrigerated, for 3 hours.